Trinity was formed as an English-speaking congregation by a group of members from German-speaking St. John's Lutheran Church in 1884. A church building was erected in a lot over on East Apple Street, which served the congregation well for a few years until the building was outgrown. The lot with the church's current location was purchased in 1908, and Trinity's new building was dedicated on September 10, 1911.
A formal cooperative arrangement between Trinity and St. John's came into being in 1984-1986, when Pastor Bob Keplinger and Pastor Herb Dubler worked together. In the years following, Trinity and St. John's worked more closely in shared ministry as a "Common Lutheran Witness" to Connellsville.
In 2012, when the pastor accepted a different call, Trinity and St. John's decided that their differing needs would best be met if each congregation was served by a different pastor. Trinity's current pastor arrived in October 2014.